SITE UNDER CONSTRUCTION. DETAILS NOT FINALIZED!
On Friday, September 20 and over the following days, the world will stop to face the terrifying existential climate crisis and pledge to finally take immediate and meaningful action. These actions will help to highlight the September 23 special UN Climate Summit and the Dec. 2019 UN COP 25 climate change conference (because of the drastic need for more ambitious country pledges on their emissions reductions!
A coalition of individals, programs, organizations, and businesses will make sure the La Crosse area is well represented and no one will be able to ignore this issue or say they don't know about it.
Our main event will be a rally and demonstration near the office of Congressman Ron Kind (205 Fifth Avenue South) from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. We will present our list of climate demands, because the action must be national and international. We will voice our concerns. And we will pledge to make this our top priority, in our personal, community, and political lives.
In addition, many other community events will be scheduled throughout the day.
This page will list and link as many as possible. If you, your group, school, workplace are planning an event, please complete this form so we can add it to the list. We hope you will join us for the 5:30 p.m. demonstration and for as many other events as possible.
Please be aware that FOSSIL FUELED TRANSPORTATION is a major greenhouse gas emmitter. Wherever possible please use the cleanest transportation method you can! Walk, board, or bike. Take the bus. Car pool with others.
We also encourage you to reuse/repurpose materials when possible. Reuse clean-one-side paper for hand outs and flyers. Reuse posters and cardboard for signs and posters. Please avoid plastics!
Events on Friday, September 20:
- 07:30 to 08:30 a.m. Commuter Visibility at the intersection of La Crosse Street and Losey Boulevard. Bring a sign stressing that (single occupant) fossil fuel vehicles are big greenhouse gas emitters. Be prepared for weather. Contact Cathy.
- Noon to 12:11 p.m. Eleven minutes for eleven years - silent strike to emphasize the short time we have left to make big changes for climate at UWL Clocktower Contact Josie.
- Noon to 4:00 p.m.weekly Fridays 4 Future Climate Strike outside Central HS on Losey Boulevard. Allies of all ages welcome. Contact Anna
- 05:30 to 06:30 p.m. WHICH SIDE ARE YOU ON? All in demonstration at office of Rep. Ron Kind, Fifth & Jay. ALL WELCOME. BRING SIGNS. Contact Janette.
- Tuesday, September 24 at 7 p.m.in the Ho-Chunk Three Rivers House, 8th & Main Streets Extinction Rebellion: HEADING FOR EXTINCTION a video from the April 2019 Oxford XR program with George Monbiot and discussion hosted by Coulee Region Sierra Club. Contact Kathy
- Earth temperature timeline: xkcd.com/1732
- NASA Carbon timeline: tinyurl.com/NASACTimeline
- Species exinction: www.iucnredlist.org
- Climate Action Tracker: https://climateactiontracker.org/countries/usa/fair-share/
- The Uninhabitable Earth (annotated article): http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2017/07/climate-change-earth-too-hot-for-humans-annotated.htmls
- Bill McKibben's advice for climate activists: https://www.vox.com/2019/5/3/18307660/climate-change-green-new-deal-bill-mckibben-falter